First comes love, then comes marriage (finally, 9 years later!), then comes a blog. That's how it goes, right?

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Alphablog – H


H is for Halloween.

The original plan for Halloween this year was for Clinton and I to go over to my sister Beth’s house to hang out with her, her husband and kids, and whatever other family decided to come over. I was pretty excited to see all the kids’ costumes, walk door-to-door with them, and hand out some candy of our own. They talked about everyone dressing up as clowns, so Clinton and I considered dressing up as well.

Unfortunately, I was basically forced to cancel my plans when I was told I would have to change my shift that day to cover for someone else. I wasn’t a happy camper, but what can you really do, right? I told Clinton he should still go, and send me photos of everyone so I could live vicariously through him.

Beth hung back at home to hand out candy while her husband Garrett and Clinton, plus my other sister Jacque and her guy Nate walked around with the kids. One of my nieces was a super scary clown! The picture freaked me out for sure! The party consisted of a tiny cowboy (with fringe on his chaps!), a punk rock princess, a geisha (Maybe? I am just guessing), a racecar driver, 3 clowns, Jason, and a St. Pauli girl.
 
 

Even Emmy got into the holiday spirit.

 

I really wish I had been there to witness this next bit – Clinton told me that Emmy was walking around with the group to the different houses and at one point, one of my nieces was carrying her – when she put her down, Emmy just sauntered right on into someone’s house when they opened the door! He said that you could hear people laughing inside, and the girl had to step away for a moment to go grab her. It’s obviously the sort of thing that you apologize for, but still really funny!

I got off work at 8p so I was able to stop by for the last little part of the night and see everyone’s costumes in person, but it was a school night so things had pretty much already wound down and we didn’t stay for long. I’m glad I got to see everyone, even if it wasn’t for the whole night.

As for me, I haven’t dressed up for Halloween in probably 10 years, but that will probably change when we have kids of our own. For now, I’ll just look back on the costumes I wore as a kid, like the year my brother and I were Aladdin and Jasmine, or the year I was a hula dancer, he was a (miserable) Dalmatian, and my step-dad was a bum with a cardboard sign that said “Will work for candy.” I’d show you some pictures if I had any, but all I’ve got handy is this one of my brother and I as kids with some Halloween treat bags my dad’s friend put together for us.

 

What do you like to do for Halloween? Do you dress up every year in different costumes? Go to haunted houses or fear farms? Hand out candy? Buy a whole bunch of candy on clearance November 1st?

No comments:

Post a Comment