First comes love, then comes marriage (finally, 9 years later!), then comes a blog. That's how it goes, right?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thanks, IKEA.

Okay, so I lied in my last post - I said I was going to do Table Signage, but I'm only partly done with that, so let's talk about today's project instead - Table Numbers Names! To go along with our Italian Film Festival theme, rather than using Table Numbers we are using Table Names. AKA instead of John Doe: Table 1, the seating chart will read John Doe: Casablanca.

So began the task of finding an acceptable 2-sided picture frame. I won't go into how many picture frames I looked at, the story would bore anyone to tears - but I can assure you, it was a lot. Finally, I accidentally stumbled across these Tolsby frames from one of my favorite places in the world - IKEA.

Added bonus - the frames were only $0.99 apiece!
I also bought a bag, because I ALWAYS forget that IKEA doesn't give you bags for your purchases, no matter how many times I've been there!
I was looking for black or gold frames, which these are clearly not. I decided I wanted to paint them in a shade of gold to bring a little light to the tables since they will have a dark (burgundy) tablecloth. I was worried about paint coming off of them since they are a smooth, finished plastic, but after some googling, I felt confident that I could successfully paint them. Today I had time to take on this project, so I went to Wal-Mart (ugh, don't even get me started on how awful that place is, I swear I hardly ever go!) to pick up some paint. I got a primer, the gold, and a clear coat.

The materials
When I got home I went straight to work - covered the patio in plastic, put on my gloves (and of course made an inappropriate joke to Clinton), opened and screwed together each frame, and laid them all out. I painted one frame with primer and one without. After they were both completely dried I realized I didn't need the primer OR the clear coat. Luckily I didn't use the clear coat at all, so I can return that along with the unused can of primer. Good thing I saved my receipt!

While the frames were drying I went about getting all of my pictures printed up for the mini movie posters. My printer has become my new best friend throughout this whole DIY wedding crafting process... he's probably pissed and ready for a break. Also, don't ask why when personified my printer becomes a male. I really couldn't tell you. Perhaps because it he makes a bunch of noise, takes up a bunch of space, and is kind of messy.

Hiya, buddy.
Maybe your favorite love story is in here?

After the paint had dried, I brought the frames back inside and got to assembling. Every single frame had a 2-piece plastic sleeve inside to protect the photo. Each plastic sleeve had no less than FOUR pieces of protective sheeting over it. My goodness IKEA, I thought you were all about less is more? I appreciate the unscratched plastic though. Thanks, guys.

All lined up and ready to go.


See, now isn't that just prettier than a big ol' Number 1 staring at you all night long??

I don't have all of the pieces together yet for the completed centerpieces, but here's a tiny little mock-up, minus a bunch of candles, plus a dinner menu that will go on every table.


Stock photo of candle holders also courtesy of IKEA!
Packed up and ready to go!

So there's one project out of the way! I also finished up our guestbook and the little pencil cup holder for the fancy pens needed to write on the photo paper. I designed our guestbook through a site called Shutterfly. It's small, but we're not having a huge wedding, so that's alright. I used pictures from our Engagement Session (all photos courtesy of Erica Shurter Photography) to make up the majority of the book. There's room to write in the margins but I definitely didn't want to run out of room, so I added some pretty, shimmering cardstock to the back of the book.

Not even kidding this time, this one was at least 15 coats of paint. Damn ittttttttt. But hey, what started as a boring black cup is now gold and pretty and sparkly. 
I've done quite a lot more over the last few days, but this will be enough for now! I know not everyone nobody is as interested in my tiny DIY details as I am, so if you've made it this far, congratulations!

In other, non-DIY-related news, I just counted and realized that there are LESS THAN FIFTY days until my wedding! OMG! Less than 50 days from now, I will be married. Less than 50 days from now, 15 months of work and planning will be over, gone, out the door! I really can't believe it. I'm really excited though, I'm super ready for it to be here, even though I still have so much to do!!

2 comments:

  1. Those frames are perfect! I got the same ones for our wedding in August :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're pretty popular! I was worried the paint wouldn't stick, but I'm glad it worked out!

    ReplyDelete