First comes love, then comes marriage (finally, 9 years later!), then comes a blog. That's how it goes, right?

Monday, June 17, 2013

Short hurr, don't curr!

I used to have hair down to the middle of my back. Used to. And then I chopped it all off! Well actually, my stylist Heather chopped it all off.

I've had a pixie cut before, and that time, my hair was even longer - almost down to my butt, and I hacked it into a suuuuper short cut - even shorter than what I just did. I maintained that cut for about a year and then grew it back out long again. It only took about 2ish years or so to get long and I've just kept it at the same length since then, but lately I'm just tired of it! I thought about cutting it into a stylish raxor-cut bob, but decided to just go whole hog. Last Monday when I walked into the salon for my appointment, I asked my stylist, "So, you ready to do something fun?" Suffice to say that she giggled through must of the cut! And even after she cut off my ponytail, the rest of the hair that ended up on the floor was a pretty epic amount.

Everyone keeps asking what made me decide to do it and mostly, it's because I just got tired of it! I live in a desert that gets to like 115F pretty regularly in the summer months, and I am over it! I swim a lot in the summer and not only is it a total pain in the ass to wash my hair every day, but it's also not healthy for it to wash it and dry it and straighten it, which I do almost every time.

Why would you heat style if you know it's bad for your hair? Why, let me show you.


Because this is ridiculous, that's why!

So I chopchopchopped it! And now my hair takes 5 minutes to do instead of 40 minutes to do! WHOO! Can't beat that.

And now, time for a little show and tell!


Before - with and without my glasses - and it's longer in the back than the front.

My inspo was Thor's (Chris Hemsworth) wife, whose name I can't remember at the moment (Elsa something), but isn't she gorgeous?? I took this little collage into the salon and told her to cut it sorta like that, and just fit it to my face, and that I wanted shorter bangs than Elsa, like the picture in the upper right.



So she cut it! When she first styled it at the salon, I wasn't super sure if I liked it or not... but it's because she blow dried it and styled it with a round brush.


"Matronly" was the word my husband used when it was all sleek like this - OUCH! Haha! I told him to never say that word to me again! =P

Later that night before going swimming, I messed it up a little bit and played with it - it was looking a little better w/ the slightly more messy style, but I still wasn't totally sold.


I've taken too many photos of myself today! Time to start pulling silly faces!

Finally, after we got home from swimming and I showered, I messed with it some more and put a little product in it so I could make it more piece-y, and that was MUCH better! So that's how I have been styling it over the last week.


Right on track!

Before and after, bespectacled.


Before and after, two eyes only.
So there you have it! Pretty dramatic difference, huh? What about you, have you ever done a major chop? Tell me about it!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your haircut! Every summer, I threaten to chop off all my hair, because I hate the heat. One of these days, I just might do it! ;)

    P.S. Your tattoo is awesome. What does it say?

    Blessed Bashert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I go through like a 3 year cycle where I cut it short, grow it long, and do it all over again! If you want to cut it, you should go for it! It's just hair, after all. :)

      And my tattoo is a lyric from 'Run' by Snow Patrol. It says, "Have heart, my dear, we're bound to be afraid."

      Delete
  2. OH MY WORD!!!!
    i love love love it.
    and your tattoo! legit!
    i am dyyyyying to cut my hair off. it is so thin and straight. but im terrified my face is too fat and itll continue to stick to my cheeks. blah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could go mid-length and get a wavy perm or something! Best of both worlds. :) Plus then it won't be as long when your new little guy decides he wants to start pulling on mama's hair!

      And thanks, that's my favorite tattoo!

      Delete